|Potato Cauliflower Soup (Serves 6)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- ½ cup scallions, white part only, chopped
- ½ tsp. caraway seeds
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 ½ pounds cauliflower florets, cooked
- ½ cup scallion greens, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ¼ cups fat-free croutons
- Too cook cauliflower, put florets in a casserole dish, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes. Continue to cook in microwave until cauliflower is easily pierced by a fork.
- Combine potatoes and next 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and purée. Return purée to saucepan and add cauliflower florets. Simmer 7 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in scallion greens and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan and croutons.
- May serve chilled, if desired.
- To decrease the sodium in this dish use low-sodium vegetable broth.
|Nutrition info for
Calories 140, Protein 5.5g, Carbohydrate 28g, Total Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 2.5mg, Sodium 356mg