Apple Chutney (Yields 5 cups/ 40 servings)
- 15 tart apples - peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 - 1 inch pieces fresh ginger root, peeled
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a saucepan, mix the apples, onion, ginger, vinegar, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, white pepper, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender. Mix in some water if necessary to keep the ingredients moist.
- Remove the onion and ginger pieces and store the chutney in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Great with roasted meats or on fresh bread.
|Nutrition info for
Calories 45, Protein 0, Carbohydrate 12g, Total Fat 0, Saturated Fat 0, Cholesterol 0, Sodium 2mg