|Golden Split Pea Soup
(Serves 8, 1 cup per serving)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onion, about 2 large onions
- 2 cups diced potatoes, with skins on, about 3 medium potatoes
- 12 ounces of yellow split peas, rinsed and checked for stones, about
- 1⁄2 cups
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (Poultry seasoning is a mixture of
many spices-thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, and nutmeg.
You can substitute any combination of these spices in place of poultry
1. Place oil in a large pot. Heat over medium-high.
2. Add onion and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, and then lower
4. Cook until peas are tender (about 45 minutes). Serve hot.
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 210 • Total Fat: 2.5 g • Saturated
Fat: 0.5 g • Cholesterol: 5 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g • Protein: 13 g • Sodium: 80 mg
by University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension