|Sweet Stuff Cornmeal
(Serves 12, 2 packages per serving)
- 24 - 5 inch squares aluminum foil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (about 1 small sweet
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, brown sugar, raisins,
cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add
this to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cornmeal mixture onto the middle
of a piece of foil. Fold the foil in half, crimping edges to seal. Repeat
with remaining filling.
4. Place a steamer rack in a large stockpot. Add water to just below
the rack. Heat over high heat to simmer. Place the foil packages in
the stockpot on the steamer rack. Water should not touch the packages.
5. Cook, covered, over low heat for 45 minutes.
6. Carefully remove packages from pan and cool slightly. Unwrap and
serve warm or cold.
7. To store, place packages in an airtight container. They will keep
for 5 days in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer. Reheat over
steaming water for 5 minutes, or place 6 at a time in the microwave
and heat for 30 to 60 seconds on 100% power (high) (if using foil, remove
from package before reheating in microwave).
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 160 • Total Fat: 0 g • Saturated
Fat: 0 g • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g • Protein: 3 g • Sodium: 40 mg
from American Heart Association’s Delicious Decisions