Soup (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28-oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoon snipped dill, for garnish (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a pot over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté the onion until translucent, 4 minutes. Add the garlic
and sauté until the onions are golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the
tomatoes with their juices, the sugar, thyme, mace and cayenne.
3. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer the soup until the tomatoes and
onion are soft, about 15 minutes.
4. Let the soup sit 20 minutes, uncovered.
5. Transfer it to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and reduce
the mixture to a purée, pulpy or completely smooth, as desired.
6. Blend in the half-and-half. Season the soup to taste with salt and
7. Serve the soup hot, sprinkling one-fourth of the dill over each bowl,
|Nutrition info for
Calories: 105 • Total Fat: 3 g • Saturated
Fat: 2 g • Cholesterol: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 18 g • Protein: 0.5 g • Sodium: 586 mg