"Healthy People in
- Healthy Weight
- Be a Fit & Healthy Vermonter
- What's happening in your community?
- Indoors & Outside
- About the Fit & Healthy Vermonters Initiative
Taking Steps to Live a Happier, Healthier Life
Staying a healthy weight is one of the most important things you can do for your overall health.
By staying a healthy weight, you can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. A healthy weight can also help control other conditions such as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and diabetes.
Obesity Prevention Plan
Vermont's Obesity Prevention Plan is a comprehensive framework for increasing physical activity and improving nutrition by engaging individuals, organizations, communities, government and industry. provides aacross multiple areas.
The Obesity Prevention Plan provides resources for specific target areas.
Check our Progress
Go to our Performance Dashboard to see how we are doing to meet our Healthy Vermonters 2020 goals for Nutrition and Weight.
- Look for healthy recipes and snack ideas on the Eat for Health web pages.
- Find tips for increasing your physical activity and track your progress at Get Moving Vermont.
- Take the Fit & Healthy Kids fall or spring activity challenge.
- Learn about the recreation resources in your town.
- Take a hike or a walk at a Vermont state park.
- Quit smoking!
We want to know what is happening in your community. What activity programs are being offered, who is attending, and who is the sponsor?
- Let us know - Fill out the survey form.
Each year, the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports recognizes Vermont employers which promote a work environment that encourages and enables employees to improve their overall health and well-being.
The Vermont Departments of Health, Forests Parks & Recreation, Environmental Conservation, and Fish & Wildlife want you to spend the season outside, and earn points for visiting beautiful places!
When you get to those places, earn more points for doing all kinds of fun activities - such as playing games, paddling on a lake, playing frisbee with your friends or attending nature programs. If you earn 250 points you will be awarded a Gold VIP Pass to Vermont State Parks. With it you can come back to Vermont State Parks for the rest of the this year and all of next year for free day entry!
The Fit & Healthy Vermonters initiative focuses on prevention, with ways to increase physical activity and improve healthy eating for Vermonters of all ages. This initiative is aligned with the Blueprint for Health, Vermont’s initiative to address the burden of chronic diseases in our state.
Our Vision—All Vermonters will live in communities that enable them to make healthy food choices and lead physically active lives.
Our Mission—Statewide partners work together to encourage lifelong healthy eating and physical activity by:
- developing community partnerships
- planning, implementing, and evaluating targeted interventions
- creating policy and environmental changes