Please note: The Electronic Death Registration System is compatible with Internet Explorer version 6 or higher and Firefox version 8 or higher. You cannot access the application using other browsers (Chrome, Safari, etc.). If using Internet Explorer 11.0 to access the EDRS please see the Troubleshooting section below.
Non-EDRS users: Click here for the procedures to follow.
Issue: I Forgot My Username and Password
- Call 802-828-6620, option 1 OR toll free 855-828-6620, option 1 to obtain your username and password from the Help Desk at the Vermont Department of Information and Innovation.
Issue: My Username and Password are Not Working
- Three failed log on attempts will result in locking your account. If you have had three or more failed attempts and it is possible that you entered your username or password incorrectly, wait five minutes and try again.
- Call 802-828-6620, option 1 OR toll free 855-828-6620, option 1 to confirm your username and password with the Help Desk at the Vermont Department of Information and Innovation.
Issue: After Logging On, the System Remains in a Loading Status
- A pop-up blocker may be preventing the application from opening. If after logging in you are notified by your web browser that a pop-up has been blocked, click on the options prompt and always allow pop-ups from apps.health.vermont.gov.
- The system is only compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher or Firefox version 8 or higher. The system will not be able to load with the use of other browsers (Chrome, Safari, etc.).
Issue: I Have Signed/Certified a Record and Need to Make a Correction
- Fill out the Request to Correct a Death Certificate form which can be found on the Forms page and fax it to 802-651-1787 for processing.
Issue: My Hospital Affiliation and/or Contact Information has Changed
- This information can only be updated by the Vital Records Office. Email your updated contact information to EDRS@vermont.gov.
- Email EDRS@vermont.gov or call (802) 863-7275 for assistance.
- Refer to the documents on our training materials page.
- If you are experiencing difficulty and can not wait for State business hours (7:45 am – 4:30 PM, M-F) to proceed, you may report the death using the reporting process for non-EDRS users.
What is the Vermont Electronic Death Registration System?
On July 1, 2008, the Vermont Department of Health introduced an Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS). This Web-based application allows funeral directors and physicians, physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses to register death certificates at any time and from any location where web access via Internet Explorer is available.
Once both parties have completed and signed/certified their entries, the record becomes a registered death certificate. Town Clerks can access the system and can print certified copies of the certificate as soon as it has been registered. This more timely and efficient process benefits those awaiting the final document and its data, including survivors and public health planners. The EDRS has also been designed to assist in improving the accuracy and consistency of information collected about deaths in Vermont.
The Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Office oversees the administration of the Electronic Death Registration System.
Tel: 800-439-5008 or 802-863-7275