Immunizations are the single most important way to protect against serious and sometimes deadly diseases. Many of the diseases that vaccines prevent can’t be easily treated or cured, and some are especially dangerous for infants and young children. Even one infected person can cause an outbreak of diseases like measles and chickenpox.
Vermont's School Entry Immunization Rule sets minimum immunization requirements for attendance at public or independent kindergartens, elementary and secondary schools, and colleges, to protect students, staff, and visitors against vaccine-preventable diseases within schools.
For information contact:
Vermont Department of Health
802-863-7638 or 800-640-4374 (toll free in Vermont)
For information about Immunization Data for Public and Independent Schools:
The School Entry Requirements Section is a comprehensive resource for Vermont school administrators and school nurses, as well as other health care providers.
The Section is divided into four sections:
Documents are provided in pdf format.
- K-12 Requirements
- Vaccines for Pre-teens
- College Requirements
- About Immunization Exemptions
- About Provisional Admittance
- About Assessing Immunization Records
- Procedural Flow Chart for Immunization Records Assessment
- FAQ for Medical Practices
Memos to Vermont Schools
Note: The forms below are for the School Year 2016-2017. For forms and Information for School Year 2015-2016, email AHS.VDHImmunizationProgram@vermont.gov.
- Varicella Disease (Chickenpox) Documentation
- Medical Exemption Form
- Religious Exemption Form
- College Exemptions Form
- Notice of Missing Immunizations and Provisional Admittance
- Notice of Exclusion and Provisional Admittance
- K-12 Provisional/Exempt Line List (optional use)
- K-12 Immunization Checklist (optional use)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Vaccine Safety
- Institute of Medicine (IOM) Report -- "Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality," August, 2011
- Vermont Immunization Registry
- Vermont School Heatlh
- Vermont Department of Health District Office Immunization Clinics
- U.S. Vaccine List - Vaccines and Related Products
- Healthcare Personnel Vaccine Recommendations
- "The Pink Book" - Epidemiology and Prevention of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases