The Maternal and Child Health Coordinator in the Bennington Local Health Office promotes the health and wellness of Bennington County’s women, children and families. To do this we:
- Help women access healthcare for healthy pregnancies and connect women with WIC Services for nutrition education for their pregnancy, postpartum period, breastfeeding, as well as nutrition education to support their children up to age 5.
- Refer women and their partners to smoking cessation services and drug or alcohol treatment services as needed.
- Refer pregnant women, postpartum women and their children with development concerns to the Children Integrated (CIS) Team.
- Help new moms become successful at breastfeeding by linking women to breastfeeding support services such as our WIC Peer Counselors, as well as encouraging local businesses to become breastfeeding friendly.
We work with:
- The Bennington County Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Task Force, which is a local group of community professionals working together on teen pregnancy prevention.
- The Maternal and Child Health Coalition of Bennington County, which is a group of community health professionals working together to improve health and provide support for pregnant women, new mothers and fathers, young children and their families in Bennington County.