Vermont Blueprint for Health Chronic Care Conference - May 9, 2005
Media Contact: Communication Office
BURLINGTON , VT – Vermont Governor Jim Douglas and Health Commissioner Paul Jarris, MD will welcome approximately 150 business and health care professionals to the second annual conference to review the priorities and progress of Vermont’s Blueprint for Health plan.
The Vermont Blueprint for Health Chronic Care Conference will be held at the Sheraton Inn and Conference Center in Burlington on May 9, 2005 . The keynote speaker for the conference will be Frank Vinicor, MD, MPH, director, Division of Diabetes Translation, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
A featured speaker will be Kate Lorig, RN, DrPH, director of the Stanford Patient Education Research Center at Stanford University . She has been instrumental in the development of a patient self- management program for people living with chronic illness. The Vermont Department of Health is currently piloting this program in Vermont .
The second featured speaker, L. Gordon Moore, MD, is a clinical assistant professor in the Departments of Family Medicine and Community and Preventive Medicine at the University of Rochester . He is also the co-chair of the Collaborative on Access and Efficiency at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement in Rochester , NY . Dr. Moore works with healthcare office teams to help them pilot and implement models of practice to improve preventive and chronic illness care.
The day will feature experts on a variety of issues facing the quality of health care provided to people who have a chronic health condition.
- 8:00 a.m. - Registration/Continental Breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. - Welcome and Remarks
Vermont Commissioner of Health Paul Jarris, MD, MBA
UVM College of Medicine Dean John Evans, PhD
- 9:00 a.m. - Opening Remarks - Governor Jim Douglas
- 9:15 a.m. - Panel Presentation: Blueprint progress and vision
- 10:15 a.m. - Break and Exhibits
- 10:45 a.m. - Keynote Address
Chronic Illness and Disease Prevention: Impact and Opportunity, Frank Vinicor, MD, MPH
- 11:45 - Lunch and Exhibits
- 1:00 p.m. - Featured Speaker
Chronic Disease Self-Management: What it is, what it is not, and does it make a difference, Kate Lorig, RN, DrPH
- 2:00 p.m. - Featured Speaker - Revitalizing Office Practice, L. Gordon Moore , MD
- 2:45 p.m. - Break and Exhibits
- 3:00 p.m. - Panel Presentation - System Changes in Vermont
Benjamin Littenberg, MD
Dennis PLante, MD
Lawrence Ramunno, MD, MPH, CDE
- 3:45 p.m. - Questions and Answers/Next Steps
- Closing Remarks - Vermont Commissioner of Health Paul Jarris, MD, MBA
Vermont’s response to the challenge of chronic disease is embodied in the Vermont Blueprint for Health, a collaborative project that began in the fall of 2003. The project is led by a public-private partnership that includes state government, health insurance plans, business and community leaders, health care providers, and consumers.