Make half your grains whole.
- Eat at least 3 oz. of whole-grain cereals, breads, crackers, rice, or pasta every day.
- One oz. is about one slice of bread, about one cup of breakfast cereal, or 1/2 cup of cooked rice, cereal, or pasta.
Vary your veggies.
- Eat more dark green veggies like broccoli, spinach, and other dark leafy greens.
- Eat more orange vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Eat more dry beans and peas like pinto beans, kidney beans and lentils.
Focus on fruits.
- Eat a variety of fruit.
- Choose fresh, frozen, canned or dried fruit.
- Go easy on fruit juices.
Get your calcium-rich foods.
- Go low-fat or fat-free when you choose milk, yogurt and other milk products.
- If you don't or can't consume milk, choose lactose-free products or other calcium sources such as fortified foods and beverages.
Meat and Beans
Go lean with protein.
- Choose low-fat or lean meats and poultry.
- Bake it, broil it or grill it.
- Vary your protein routine - choose more fish, beans, peas, nuts and seeds.