Act 132 of the 2011-2012 General Assembly created a working group charged with developing recommendations for coordinating efforts of public and private entities involved with organ and tissue donation, and for increasing organ and tissue donation rates in Vermont.
- Report of the Organ and Tissue Donation Working Group
Report Date: Jan. 7, 2013
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are held at 10:00 a.m. in conference room 3B at the Vermont Department of Health, 108 Cherry St., Burlington.
Meeting Dates and Summaries
- Sep 25, 2013 - Meeting Summary
- Mar 19, 2013 - Meeting Summary
- Dec 14, 2012 - Meeting Summary
- Oct 24, 2012 - Meeting Summary
- Sep 18, 2012 - Meeting Summary; New England Organ Bank Presentation
- Jul 25, 2012 - Meeting Summary
(a) There is created an organ and tissue donation working group to make recommendations to the general assembly and the governor relating to organ and tissue donations.
(b) The members of the organ and tissue donation working group shall include:
- the commissioner of health or designee, who shall chair the working group;
- the commissioner of motor vehicles or designee;
- a representative of the Vermont Medical Society;
- representatives from the federally designated organ procurement organizations serving Vermont; and
- other interested stakeholders
(c) The working group shall develop recommendations regarding:
- coordination of the efforts of all public and private entities within the state that are involved with the donation and transplantation of human organs and tissues;
- the creation of a comprehensive statewide program for organ and tissue donations and transplants;
- the establishment of goals and strategies for increasing donation rates in Vermont of deceased and, where appropriate, live organs and tissues;
- other issues related to organ and tissue donation and transplantation.
(d) The working group shall receive administrative support from the department of health.
(e) The working group shall report its findings and recommendations to the house committees on human services, on health care, and on transportation and the senate committees on health and welfare and on transportation, and to the governor, by January 15, 2013, after which time the working group shall cease to exist. The report shall include a recommendation about whether the department of health should establish an ongoing advisory council on organ and tissue donation.
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
- Center for Donation and Transplant
- Donate Life New England
- New England Kidney Foundation
- New England Organ Bank