Essential Maintenance Practices —
Lead Law Compliance Statements FAQ

What does the Vermont Lead Law require?

The Vermont Lead Law requires that Essential Maintenance Practices are completed annually on pre-1978 residential rental properties and child care facilities. A compliance statement must be filed with the Vermont Department of Health, the owner’s liability insurance carrier, the Vermont Department for Children and Families (for child care facility owners), and a copy must be given to tenants.

Return to Top

What are Essential Maintenance Practices (EMP)?

Essential Maintenance Practices are required activities under the Vermont Lead Law, which was passed in 1996 and updated in 2008 (18 VSA Chapter 38). The law requires that owners of rental housing and child care facilities built before 1978 take certain specific steps to keep the property lead safe. For more information about EMPs, please see: Essential Maintenances Practices (EMP) and Vermont Lead Law PDF document.

Return to Top

How do I file an EMP Compliance Statement?

The Vermont Department of Health has developed a free online service that will make it easier for owners and managers of pre-1978 rental housing to comply with essential maintenance practices mandated by the Vermont Lead Law.

Return to Top

Who can file a compliance statement?

An owner or property manager can file the compliance statement on a residential rental property or child care facility once they have created an account in our online system.

Return to Top

When do compliance statements need to be filed?

Compliance statements must be filed at least once every 365 days for each pre-1978 residential rental property or child care facility. 

Return to Top

Do compliance statements need to be filed on the same date every year?

No. Compliance statements may be filed early.

Example: If you filed a compliance statement on October 15, 2011, the next compliance statement is due no later than October 15, 2012. Let’s say you chose to file this October 15, 2012 compliance statement early and filed it on September 30, 2012. Then in 2013, the next compliance statement would be due no later than September 30, 2013.

Return to Top

What happens if I file late?

You can be fined $50 for submitting a compliance statement within 30 days after the due date. For filing later than 30 days after the due date, you can be fined $150.

Return to Top

Can I request an extension?

Yes. You can submit a written request for an extension to the Vermont Department of Health no later than ten days before the due date. The department may grant or deny an extension.

Request an extension by sending an email to:

Return to Top

Who can perform Essential Maintenance Practices? 

Essential Maintenances Practices (EMP) must be performed by an EMP-certified person or by a person who works under the direct, on-site supervision of an EMP-certified person.

Return to Top

How can I find an EMP-certified person?

The Health Department website includes a searchable list of EMP-certified individuals. Contact the EMP service provider directly for details about services and rates.

Return to Top

How can I become EMP certified?

You must attend an EMP class to become EMP certified. Classes are offered free of charge at various locations throughout Vermont. You can go to to see a list of upcoming classes or call 1-800-439-8550 for information.

Return to Top

How can I find my EMP certificate number?

Call 1-800-439-8550 if you need your EMP certificate number.

Return to Top

How are usernames assigned?

Your username is your first name with a period (".") after it, followed by your last name. Some usernames will have a number after the last name. Numbers occur when more than one person has the same first and last names.


It is important for you to note whether you have a number at the end of your username.

Return to Top

Related Information

Essential Maintenance Practices (EMP) and Vermont Lead Law
Fact sheet that summarizes EMP requirements for landlords and rental property managers of rental properties built before 1978.

Lead Disclosure Rule
Landlords must disclose known information on lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards before leases take effect. Leases must include a Disclosure of Information form PDF document about lead-based paint.

Lead Poisoned Children Rules
Regulations outline steps to be taken to confirm a diagnosis of lead poisoning, inspect the sources of the poisoning, and the actions to be taken towards abatement or other controls in housing that is rented or leased.

Poster: Notification of Deteriorated Paint PDF document
You may also call 1-800-439-8550 to receive copies of this poster.

Real Estate Transactions
Effective July 1, 2008, the Vermont Lead Law requires sellers of pre-1978 residential properties to provide buyers with lead disclosure information and educational materials.

Rental Housing Health Code PDF document

Renting in Vermont
An informational handbook that is intended to give tenants and landlords a basic understanding of their rights and responsibilities.

Tips for Child Care Providers PDF document

Vermont Rental Housing Codes
Online resource developed by the Vermont Housing and Finance Agency (VHFA) and the Vermont Attorney General's Office.

Return to Top