Ready to be more active?
Take your physical activity to the next level!
Why Get Moving?
Moderate physical activity done most days of the week for 30 minutes per day (may be counted throughout the day) can really improve your health.
- 60 percent of Vermont adults do not get the recommended amount of physical activity (moderate activity, 30 minutes per day).
- 25 percent of Vermonter adults are not active at all.
- 73 percent of Vermont students do not exercise moderately five or more days per week and
- Over one third (36 percent) of Vermont students spend three or more hours per school day watching TV, or playing video or computer games.
Let's change these statistics
You don’t have to be an athlete, and there are no age or fitness level requirements. If you are not currently active we offer the tools and opportunity to start slowly and increase your overall fitness.
The Benefits of Feeling Fit
Maybe you’ve considered starting a daily activity program, you’re just not sure when or how.
Everyone has their own reasons for being fit. Think about yours, then try some small steps to begin.
- Feel better
- Live longer
- Strengthen your heart & other muscles
- Lose weight
- Sleep better
- Reduce stress
- Improve concentration
- Lower cholesterol
- Look better
- Decrease your risk for high blood pressure
- Control blood sugar levels
- Have more energy
- Strengthen your bones
Active people have more energy and a more positive attitude!
How to Begin
Set a goal.
Use these Tip Sheets
Learn ways to stay motivated, overcome barriers, and make activity part of your everyday life:
- Getting Started with Walking
- Step Counter (Pedometer) Program
- Step Counter Conversions
- Overcoming Barriers
- Make Physical Activity Part of Your Life: Tips for Being More Active
- Tips for People Who Have Been Inactive for a While
- Staying Motivated
- Buddy Contract
- Safety Tips
- Sun Safety
More information and resources