Several tools are provided here to assist you with communicating with people from other cultures in an effective way, and to increase your understanding of some of the cultural beliefs and attitudes that may affect a person's response to illness, health care providers and treatment.
It is very important to remember that everyone is an individual and that there are significant variations of belief within a particular culture. Information about cultural differences should be used to increase awareness of possible differences, rather than to stereotype individuals or make assumptions which may not hold true.
For more information about working with refugees in particular, or to access health related fact sheets in languages other than English, refer to the Vermont Refugee Health Program.
- Cultural Awareness in Nutrition Counseling
- Cultural Competency Continuum
- Cultural Competency: Developmental and Physical Assessment
- Cultural Competency: Quick Tips for Working with People From Other Cultures
- Cultural Competency: Self teaching module for the influence of culture and pigment on skin conditions in children
- Cultural Competency: World Map & Fact Book
- Cultural Differences in Non-verbal Communication
- Cultural Diversity in Vermont
- Cultural Profile: Bosnians
- Cultural Profile: Central Asians
- Cultural Profile: Somali Bantu
- Cultural Profile: Sudanese
- Cultural Profile: Vietnamese Americans
- Culturally Effective Pediatric Care: Education and Training Issues (AAP Statement)
- Demographic Profiles for Vermont
- Infectious Diseases of Refugees & Immigrants & Bioterrorism
- Interpreter Resources
- Refugee Health Program--Vt. Dept. of Health
- Refugee Mental Health Assessment
- Sexual Orientation and Adolescents (AAP Clinical Report)