Certifying a Death in Vermont


By Vermont Law, only the chief medical examiner or county states attorney may authorize an autopsy against family wishes. Just because a case falls under OCME jurisdiction does not necessarily require an autopsy be done. We work closely with families to ensure their wishes are met while at the same time fulfilling the statutory requirements.

If an autopsy is requested by the family, in a case that falls outside the jurisdiction of the OCME, it can be arranged through the local hospital.

The attending physician should contact the hospital pathology group or can arrange autopsy through the Fletcher Allen Health Care Department of Pathology

Contact Information

Brenda Waters, MD
Director of Fletcher Allen Autopsy Service
Tel.: 802-847-2700
Email: Brenda.Waters@vtmednet.org