Certifying a Death in Vermont

How To Report a Case

To report a case or reach an OCME investigator for consultation, call our Vermont toll free number (888-552-2952). Your call will be answered by our central dispatch service. They will ask you "Are you reporting a new case?" Please answer yes.

They will then ask your location and a call back number. Our investigators are dispatched by county. The nearest investigator will be paged out and return your call within several minutes. *Please be patient*.

Please be prepared with the following minimal information:

The investigators are in contact with the on-call forensic pathologist. Please do not try to reach the pathologist directly.