Pick Up Trash – Not Ticks – On Green Up Day
News Release: May 1, 2013
Vermont Department of Health
On Saturday, May 4, over 15,000 volunteers across the state will be foraging for the trash that reveals itself when the snow melts. More than 40,000 green garbage bags will be filled with the litter that volunteers find lodged along roadsides and in tall grass or brushy areas, which is right where the ticks live.
Be Tick Smart on Green Up Day, and follow three easy steps to keep yourself, children and pets safe.
- Wear long pants and tuck them into socks.
- Apply insect repellant with up to 30% DEET.
- Apply permethrin to gear and clothes.
- Check yourself for ticks from head to toe.
- Shower as soon as you get home.
- Adults check children and pets for ticks.
- Detach ticks as soon as possible.
- Use tweezers and pull straight up to remove.
- Wash clothes immediately and dry on high heat for an hour.
# # #