Birth Certificates In Vermont

Introduction: Your Child’s Birth Certificate

WHEN YOUR CHILD IS BORN, you will be asked to provide information for a very important document—your child’s birth certificate.

The birth certificate is used throughout a person’s lifetime. It is the chief legal source of information on your child’s proper name, place of birth, and parents. It will be used to provide proof of age and identity for many events in life: entering school, getting a driver’s license, passport or marriage license, tracing family history, receiving retirement benefits, etc.

If your baby is born in a hospital, or at home with a licensed midwife, the physician or midwife in attendance will complete the birth certificate. If your baby was born without a medical professional present, please contact the Vital Records Office for assistance at 802-863-7275 or (within Vermont) 800-439-5008.

If you have questions after reading this material or would like to know more, please call, visit or write to Vital Records, Vermont Department of Health, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402-0070.

Return to Top

Filing a Birth Certificate

When a birth occurs, the physician, midwife, or other birth attendant is required to complete the birth certificate and file it with the clerk in the town or city of birth within 5 days. For hospital births, it is usually the medical records staff who complete the certificate. The municipal clerk receiving the original will send one copy to the clerk in the Vermont city or town where the mother lives, and another copy to the Vermont Department of Health.

Correcting a Birth Certificate

You may request MINOR corrections by contacting the clerk of the city or town in which the birth occurred. Also, the Vermont Department of Health will send you a Notification of Birth Registration approximately three months after your child’s birth. This is not the actual birth certificate, but it shows some information that appears on the birth certificate. If you find a mistake, cross it out, print the correct information, sign the form and return it to the Health Department or to the clerk of the city or town in which the birth took place. NOTE: A change to the child’s last name or to either parent’s last name requires a court decree ordering the change. If you have specific questions, please call the Vital Records Office at 802-863-7275 or (within Vermont) 800-439-5008.

ALL CORRECTIONS MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE CHILD IS 6 MONTHS OLD. After that time, corrections can be made only by order of the probate division of the superior court of the district in which the child was born.

Obtaining a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate

You will not automatically receive a copy of your child’s birth certificate. To get a certified copy, you may send a written request along with $10.00 to the clerk of the town or city where the birth took place, to the clerk of the mother’s Vermont town or city of residence, or send $10.00 to the Vermont Department of Health (you may use the birth certificate order form ). We recommend that you get a copy as soon after the birth as possible. This will help you make sure that the birth was registered properly and that the information on the certificate is correct. Any changes or corrections after six months may require a court order.

Return to Top